Physical Therapy for Orthopedics
The physical therapists of the Outpatient Rehabilitation Department Therapy have additional training in addressing disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system which commonly occur around the hip, knee, ankle, foot and shoulder. Therapy can be ordered for non-surgical problems or after orthopedic surgery. During your first visit you will be evaluated and assessed to address injury or disease affecting the muscles, bones, ligaments, or tendons. The physical therapist will provide a hands-on assessment and treatment, which could include: joint mobilization, therapeutic exercise, neuromuscular techniques, muscle re-education, gait training, body mechanics education, and modalities as needed, including hot and cold packs, electrical stimulation, taping, and ultrasound.
Common Diagnoses seen by the Orthopedic team
- Joint replacement
Specialized Care Services or Equipment
- Real-time Ultrasound is used to look at how different layers of muscles contract and relax. It is also used to assess muscle activation when compared to the other side of the body. Real time ultrasound can help to restore normal muscle function by giving immediate visual feedback.
Some of the conditions that could benefit from physical therapy with Real Time Ultrasound:
- Low back pain
- Pregnancy related back pain
- Hip and groin pain
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Shoulder girdle dysfunctions
- Iontophoresis is used by therapists to apply anti-inflammatory medications. The process uses charged ions to move medication through the skin to the affected area.
- Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation is used to elicit muscular contraction through electric impulses. This is a tool utilized to assist with training or to test the neural and/or muscular function.
- Hydroworx®Therapy and Exercise Pool
The Orthopedic Rehabilitation Therapy team
Our orthopedic therapists are trained in the treatment of post-operative orthopedic procedures, fractures, acute sports injuries, arthritis, sprains, and strains.
- Megan Chesek, PT, DPT
- Thomas Daly, PT, DPT
- Courtney Foley, PT, DPT
- Kristen Grandstaff PT, DPT
- Anne Gronos, PT, DPT
- Tiffani Hastings, PT, DPT
- Leah Harvey PT, DPT
- Julie Janes, PT, DPT
- Ruderis Maltez Alvarez, PT, DPT
- Vaishali Sikotra, MPT
- Claire Tallman PT, DPT
- Justin Trumbull, PT, DPT
- Rebecca Wolfinger, PT, DPT
to meet the Orthopedic Rehabilitation Therapy team of the Outpatient Rehabilitation Department at Virginia Hospital Center.