Personnel, Diagnostic Services & Technology
We have the tools. We have the professionals. We'll get the right diagnosis, so you can get the right treatment.
The American College of Surgeons certified Virginia Hospital Center's Oncology Program as a Teaching Hospital Cancer Program—the highest ranking available. We are proud of this designation. It presents us with the advantages of a research and teaching facility, along with continuous coverage by specialists teaching the latest cancer treatments.
Our physicians conduct and participate in research projects, developing in-depth knowledge of advanced therapies and technology. They ensure that patients receive cutting-edge care, using their extensive experience to provide superior medical care.
Our diagnostic services are fully certified by their professional associations.
Radiology & Medical Imaging
- Diagnostic Imaging at Virginia Hospital Center bring all their capabilities together when working with your physician to provide a precise diagnosis. Using procedures that range from traditional X-rays to CT scans, VEO, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, PET scanning, mammography and MRI's including the Skyra 3T Open Bore MRI, breast MRI, Diagnostic Imaging has all the technological tools and trained personnel needed to provide fast accurate results.
- Interventional Radiology offers rapid diagnostic capabilities utilizing image-guided biopsies and minimally invasive treatment options, which include chemo embolization and radio-frequency tumor ablation.
- The Pathology Department uses the most advanced techniques and procedures to assess tissue samples for the presence of cancerous cells.
- The Cytology Laboratory also offer rapid diagnostic services.
Cancer Prevention and Early Diagnosis
Virginia Hospital Center places a strong emphasis on prevention and early diagnosis of cancer by offering programs to raise awareness and educate the public on methods of early detection. The Hospital offers a variety of health promotion events to encourage early diagnosis.
- By offering coupons for free PSA tests, more than 200 men per year receive screening for the early signs of Prostate Cancer.
- Skin Cancer is the most deadly type of cancer. Dermascan screenings can detect skin cancer (including melanoma) in its initial stages, when it can be treated successfully.
- The Hospital also works with local businesses to encourage early screening and raise cancer awareness among employees. The Health Promotion Department, in close cooperation with the Cancer Center, provides the HealthWorks program. HealthWorks professionals examine each employee's family health history, individual health history, lifestyles and habits to produce a Cancer Risk Profile, which identifies risk factors for various types of cancer. HealthWorks helps each employee learn which factors can be controlled and how to reduce their cancer risks.
- The Foundation Department at Virginia Hospital Center helps generate funding for research into new methods of preventing, detecting and treating cancer through participation in fundraisers and community events such as the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, the Avon Breast Cancer Walk, the Race for the Cure, Breast Cancer Conference and many more. To learn about the next fundraising event or to support the Hospital, click here.