Care After Birth
Receive compassionate care after birth from the team at Virginia Hospital Center.
Support for Recovery & Bonding
Once you have your baby, you’ll move into a private mom-and-baby suite to recover and bond. Rely on your care team to help you:
- Feed your baby
- Give your baby a bath
- Hold your baby skin-to-skin
- Spend as much time with your baby as possible
- Answer questions about your postpartum care
If you choose to breastfeed, get help nursing your baby from a breastfeeding specialist.
Your Care Plan
View details about what to expect each day on the communication board in your room. Your nurse will update your board daily to inform you and your care team about your Hospital stay.
Your baby’s pediatrician will visit you and your baby in the Hospital to perform newborn tests and other healthcare services your new baby needs. If you have not chosen a pediatrician, we can provide one for you.
- If your your pediatrician is not on the medical staff of Virginia Hospital Center, the Children’s National Medical Center pediatricians will care for your baby and provide a summary of care at discharge for follow up with your pediatrician.
- All babies should be seen by a pediatrician within 24-48 hours after discharge from the Hospital.
Birth Certificate & Social Security
You’ll receive forms to request your baby’s birth certificate and social security number. A birth registrar is available if you have questions. Depend on our staff to pick up the paperwork from you before you go home and submit it to the Virginia Department of Health.
Patient Portal Access
Complete the birth certificate registrar form while you’re in the hospital to sign up to view your baby’s medical information on our patient portal. A patient portal is a secure, online platform where you can:
- Schedule appointments for your baby
- Communicate with your baby’s pediatrician (if on the medical staff of Virginia Hospital Center)
- View your baby’s test results
Rely on our team to help you prepare to bring your baby home. Expect to leave between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm on the day your doctor says it’s OK for you to leave. If you had a vaginal birth, you’ll typically go home one to two days after delivery. If you deliver your baby by Cesarean, you’ll go home two to three days after you have your baby.
If your doctor prescribes any medications, you can fill and pick up your prescriptions at the Virginia Hospital Center Outpatient Pharmacy before leaving the hospital.