Pregnancy & Childbirth
When you give birth at Virginia Hospital Center, named one of the nation’s Best Maternity Hospitals by Newsweek magazine in 2020, you receive the cutting-edge care of our award-winning maternity services right in the comfort of your community. Families who deliver at VHC have the comfort of a fully-private suite with 24/7 lactation support and our onsite Level III NICU managed by a team of neonatologists from Children’s National Health System. You can count on our team to support your safety, comfort and preferences throughout your pregnancy journey through our skilled team of on-site obstetricians, certified nurse-midwifes, maternal fetal medicine (MFM) doctors and neonatologists.
What to Expect When You Deliver at VHC
Your care team will help you make informed choices about your labor, birth and postpartum care while keeping you and your baby safe. Expect family-centered care during your labor and delivery. That means that whenever possible:
- You will be in a private suite throughout your stay
- You'll have access to a range of natural and medicated options for pain relief and labor support
- You will able to hold your baby immediately after delivery
- Your baby’s routine tests will be performed in the room with you
- Your baby can always stay by your side, or you have the option of using our newborn nursery should you need a moment to rest
- Keep your support person close with guest sleeping chairs and couches in your private room
We offer live, weekly information sessions with a Q&A where you can learn about what to expect when delivering your baby at Virginia Hospital Center.
Privacy and Comfort During Your Stay
All moms deliver in private delivery rooms. You will recover in a private room with an en-suite bath and a sleeper couch or chair for your support person. During your stay, you’ll also:
- Receive bedside breastfeeding support from our board-certified lactation consultants
- Have the option to receive bedside massages from on-site certified massage therapists
- Have access to newborn professional photography from our on-site partner BabyBella
- Have the support of our caring, responsive team, which received the highest rating in the region when it comes to “treating patients with courtesy and respect” as rated by patients during their delivery stay
Onsite Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our onsite Level III NICU is operated in partnership with Children’s National Health System, the #1 ranked neonatology provider in the country based on U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020 Best Children’s Hospital survey. We have over 100 team members dedicated specifically to the care of NICU infants.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes us as a level III NICU, meaning we can care for babies of any weight and age.
Welcoming a Baby During COVID-19
You probably have a few questions and concerns as you prepare for your baby's arrival during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our teams train for situations like this and are committed to providing you with high-quality care and a comfortable experience.
Our Women & Infant Health staff take extra precautions and little has changed regarding your comfort. Moms continue to have private delivery and recovery rooms with en-suite bathrooms. You are welcome to bring a support person to accompany you throughout your stay, as well as a certified midwife or doula to support your delivery.
Updates on Hospital Policies During COVID-19
Email our care team at email@example.com with questions.
Connect with Our Care Team
We're Here to Help You Feel Prepared for Your New Baby
Fran Williams, BSN, RN is a leader in childbirth education who served as a labor and delivery nurse and clinical leader at VHC for over 20 years. Fran and her team help you navigate your delivery preparation and experience at VHC. She and her team host events that build connected, supportive communities of moms and help you adopt the latest evidence-based prenatal, childbirth, and postpartum practices.
Reach out to Fran and her team to discuss how we can support your delivery journey and to learn about these topics and more:
- The safety precautions we are taking to protect you during COVID-19
- What to expect when delivering at VHC and how to prepare
- Low intervention options available to you at VHC
- How to incorporate a certified doula or midwife into your childbirth experience at VHC
- Considerations for making your birth plan
- VHC’s high risk pregnancy services and onsite Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) managed by Children’s National Health System
- Having a planned cesarean section at VHC
Send us a MessageSignUp for Our Weekly Info Session
Join a free support group or enroll in a class
Classes: Register for our highly-rated childbirth education classes to prepare for delivery and plan for a smooth transition into the postpartum period. We offer a range of classes on topics including childbirth, unmedicated labor, relaxation and comfort during labor, C-section preparation, infant care skills, grandparenting, and more.
Enroll in a Class
Support groups: Our free support groups provide an opportunity to connect with other mothers under the guidance of our childbirth education leaders on topics you care about, including breastfeeding, parenting during COVID-19, partner parenting skills, and the postpartum transition. Check the schedule for our latest offerings.
Enroll in a Support Group