Preparing for Joint Replacement
Are you scheduled for a knee or hip replacement at Virginia Hospital Center? Being prepared is the first step toward a successful surgical outcome.
Attend a Preoperative Joint Replacement Class
Attend our in-depth Total Joint Replacement Class four to six weeks before your surgery. Choose the class format you prefer:
- Our in-person on-site classes are temporarily canceled.
- Online class – Available to watch at your convenience on your computer or mobile device; you'll receive login information after completing an online joint replacement class registration.
Read Your Joint Replacement Booklet
Download and review the joint replacement booklet for your procedure. Bring it with you to the hospital on the day of your surgery.
Preoperative Knee Replacement Booklet [PDF]
Preoperative Hip Replacement Booklet [PDF]
Know what to Expect the Day of Surgery
For more information on how to prepare for the surgery and what to expect, please review the information below and watch the virtual tour.
- Arrive at the Surgery Center reception area and check-in with the receptionist, Parking A, Zone A, 2nd Floor.
- Prepare for your surgery in a private preoperative room. Meet your surgical and anesthesia team.
- A dedicated orthopedic OR team will provide highly specialized care.
- A patient-tracking board keeps your loved ones informed of your location.
- After surgery, nurses will carefully monitor your recovery in the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU).
- After the PACU, you will be admitted to a private room in the orthopedic department.
- Your therapists will work with you in your room and in a dedicated therapy facility in the orthopedic department.