Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Strengthen your heart, respiratory system and overall wellness with help from the dedicated cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation therapists at Virginia Hospital Center.
Nationally Recognized Program
Take part in a program that holds certification from the American Association of Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), the country’s only peer-reviewed program-accrediting body. You can feel confident in the quality and effectiveness of our program and expertise of our staff because we meet high standards set by the AACVPR.
What’s Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab?
Cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation is a medically supervised exercise and education program that helps you:
- Boost your quality of life and physical and emotional well-being
- Improve your overall fitness, endurance, strength and flexibility
- Increase activity levels
- Lower the risk of future heart problems, including heart attack
- Manage chronic conditions and symptoms
- Lower blood pressure and heart rate, control cholesterol and blood sugar levels and manage shortness of breath
- Reduce the risk of future hospitalization for heart or lung issues
- Make daily activities easier
Conditions We Treat
You may benefit from cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation:
- After a heart attack
- After a heart procedure, such as bypass, stent replacement, valve replacement or repair, or heart transplant
- If you have a heart condition, such as an arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm), angina (chest pain) or heart failure
- If you have a respiratory (pulmonary) condition, such as asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis or lung cancer
- After a lung transplant
What to Expect
Count on our caring and knowledgeable team to get to know you and help you reach your goals in a supportive environment. At your first appointment, you’ll have a comprehensive one-on-one evaluation so we can design and individualize your program so it’s right for your unique needs.
The program takes place on an outpatient basis, which means you visit the facility for rehabilitation appointments and go home afterward.
Your Rehabilitation Plan
Your personalized rehabilitation plan may include:
- Exercise program with supervised exercises
- Education and counseling on your health condition, fitness, nutrition and healthy living choices
- Support from other patients experiencing similar situations
- Referrals, if needed, to specialists like dietitians or diabetes educators
Your medical history and physical condition determine the intensity and number of exercise sessions you have each week. Sessions are available five days a week.
Your Rehabilitation Team
Partner with multidisciplinary professionals who offer education and support every step of the way. All exercise sessions are supervised by registered nurses (RNs) and exercise physiologists. Expect high-quality services because our program began as one of the area's first cardiac rehabilitation programs 20 years ago.