Cancer Screening & Diagnosis
Protect your health with tests and expertise from Virginia Hospital Center. Benefit from top-quality:
- Cancer screenings – Check for signs of cancer before you have symptoms; help you catch cancer early, when treatment works best
- Diagnostic tests – Determine the reason for symptoms or unusual screening results; only a diagnostic test can reveal whether you have cancer.
Diagnostic imaging professionals at Virginia Hospital Center work with your doctor to help provide a precise diagnosis. Access tests such as:
- Breast imaging, including mammography
- Computed tomography (CT) scan, including Veo technology that provides clearer images with less radiation
- Image-guided biopsies
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), including open bore MRI, which helps people with claustrophobia feel more comfortable
- Nuclear medicine, including positron emission tomography (PET) scans
- Ultrasound, which uses gentle sound waves
- X-ray, which uses low doses of radiation
Feel confident knowing your diagnostic services are fully certified by their professional associations.
Biopsy & Lab Services
Your doctor may order a biopsy, which removes a tiny sample of your cells to check for cancer. The lab uses advanced techniques to get accurate, timely results.
Cancer Prevention & Early Diagnosis
Watch for annual screening and education programs at Virginia Hospital Center.
Using coupons for free prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests, more than 200 men per year receive screening for the early signs of prostate cancer.
Skin cancer is the most deadly type of cancer. Dermascan screenings can detect skin cancer (including melanoma) in its initial stages, when it can be treated successfully.
The hospital may work with your business to encourage early screening and raise cancer awareness among employees. The Health Promotion Department, in close cooperation with the Cancer Center, provides the HealthWorks program. HealthWorks professionals examine each employee's family health history, individual health history, lifestyles and habits to produce a cancer risk profile. HealthWorks helps each employee learn which factors can be controlled and how to reduce their cancer risks.