Partner with Virginia Hospital Center’s breast surgery team, which includes surgeons with training and experience performing a wide-range of procedures.
Find exceptional care from experts with the highest level of training in their field. Molly L. Sebastian, MD, FACS, serves as medical director of The Reinsch Pierce Family Center for Breast Health and holds board certification in general surgery with fellowship-training in breast surgery, as does her partner, Claire R. Edwards, MD, FACS. You’ll benefit from care tailored to your unique needs all in one convenient, specialized location.
If your surgery involved cosmetic or reconstructive services, rest assured the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery practice led by Marilyn Nguyen, MD utilizes the most advanced techniques. The coordinated care ensures you have the smoothest, most personalized experience possible.
Procedures We Offer
Count on our team to focus on your safety, comfort and well-being. We offer:
- Breast reduction – Decreases breast size by removing excess fat, skin and tissue to address discomfort and make the breasts more proportional to the body
- Breast biopsy – Takes a small sample of breast tissue for examination in a lab
- Lumpectomy, also known as breast conservation surgery – Removes cancer while saving as much healthy tissue as possible
- Mastectomy – Removal of all or part of the breast and sometimes the areola, nipple, and nearby lymph nodes or muscles
- Breast reconstruction – Restores the appearance of the breasts with breast implants after a mastectomy
Depending on your preferences and health needs, you may have:
- One or more procedures during the same surgery
- One procedure with plans to have a follow-up procedure later
Talk to your care team about your options and goals.
Advanced Biopsy Techniques
Benefit from the latest technology when our team performs the biopsy your doctor recommends. You may have:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided biopsy – Uses MRI technology to take images of the breast tissue and guide your radiologist during the biopsy
- Sentinel node biopsy – Checks if cancer has spread from the breast to the lymph system
- Stereotactic biopsy – Takes a sample of breast tissue using a mammography machine
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy – Uses ultrasound technology to find and take a sample of a breast lump or other abnormality
Minimally Invasive Options
Whenever possible, count on your surgeon to use the least invasive techniques for your procedure. Your surgeon will use precise, tools and advanced technology. You’ll benefit from smaller incisions so you have a faster recovery with a lower risk of problems like infection.
What to Expect
Ask your care team how to prepare for your surgery.
When you arrive at the surgery center, a friendly nurse will take you to your private preoperative room. You’ll change into a gown and answer a nurse’s questions about your medical history. Then, a family member, friend or loved one can join you.
Learn more about what to expect before, during and after your surgery at Virginia Hospital center.