Nursing Student Scholarship Program
Affiliated with most major nursing programs in the area, including Georgetown, George Mason University, Marymount University, George Washington University and Northern Virginia Community College, Virginia Hospital Center boasts a rich environment for continued learning and development for nursing students and working professional nurses alike.
We offer generous tuition reimbursement benefits for university-level coursework and for approved seminars and other continuing education programs for our nursing staff. In addition, we frequently provide on-site workshops and classes.
Virginia Hospital Center offers special programs and opportunities for nursing students and recent graduates, including the Friends of Nursing Scholarship Fund, Nursing Student Preceptorships and Graduate Nurse Fellowships.
A scholarship program designed to support nursing students in BSN or higher programs who will commit to working at Virginia Hospital Center after graduation for a minimum of two years (3744 hours). Current employees will be required to commit to two years (3744 hours) of employment from the date of receiving scholarship funds.
Up to $5000 (depending upon assessed tuition) to be awarded for the 2017-2018 Academic Year.
- Full-Time Nursing students of an accredited Bachelors Degree Nursing Program (or higher) with a graduation date of May 2017 or later are eligible.
- 3.0 Grade Point Average for the previous two full semesters or 30-36 academic credits. Transcript from current nursing program must be submitted. A transcript from the student's high school must be submitted for a newly enrolled student.
- Two letters of recommendation from clinical instructors are required.
- Written commitment to work at Virginia Hospital Center for a minimum of two years (3744 hours) following graduation for each $5,000 or portion thereof received.
- Written agreement to respond to inquiries regarding academic progress including official transcripts covering academic work since the scholarship award.
*Internal Applicants: Current permanent employees with Virginia Hospital Center are eligible. Employee must have completed their 90 day probationary period and not have active discipline in order to be considered. One of the letters of recommendation must be from your PCD or APCD.
- The scholarship recipient must take licensing exam at the first available date following graduation.
- Employment as a Registered Nurse at Virginia Hospital Center should begin at the first available new graduate program following obtaining nursing licensure.
- Employment will be offered based on positions available at the time of the student's graduation. If there are no positions available, or if the Hospital is unable to offer a position, the obligation to the Hospital will be considered satisfied. The money awarded would not have to be repaid.
- Scholarship recipients who do not fulfill their commitment to be employed, or do not complete their academic program are required to repay scholarship funds. Monies will be due in full within three months of graduation, or withdraw from the nursing program.