New Graduate Nurse Residency Program
Virginia Hospital Center is a strong advocate for its nurses and provides a true collaborative environment in which the healthcare team works closely together, bringing skill, experience and mutual respect to the task of providing superior medical care for our patients.
The mission of the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program TM (NRP) is to support new graduate nurses during transition in the first year of practice and facilitate development of critical thinking skills and leadership at the bedside.
We have 2 entries each year – Spring entry for Winter graduates and Summer entry for Spring/Summer graduates. Start dates for these entries will vary. We post positions and host an invitation-only interview event called Match Day a few months before each cohort.
Important Upcoming Dates:
- August 23rd, 2021 – Applications available for current employees
- August 30th, 2021 – Applications available for external employees
- August 23rd – September 17th - Application Review
- September 20th, 2021 – October 1st, 2021 – First Round Interviews for Spring 2022 New Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- October 9th, 2021 – Match Day for final candidates (by invitation only)
- March 2022 – Spring Cohort begins
* You will be contacted by a recruiter during the Application Review period if you are selected to interview. Applications will remain open/available until all spots have been filled.
- Transition from an advanced beginner nurse to competent professional nurse in the clinical environment by caring for patients with increasing levels of acuity and complexity
- Utilize critical thinking/clinical reasoning skills
- Develop effective decision-making skills, clinical judgment and performance
- Provide clinical nursing leadership at the point of care
- Strengthen commitment to the profession of nursing
- Initiate an individual professional development plan
- Incorporate research-based evidence linked to practice outcomes into bedside care
- Increase nurse retention and satisfaction
The New Graduate Nurse Residency program at Virginia Hospital Center is a Full Time employment opportunity for approximately 1 year. New Graduate Nurse Residents will meet regularly as a cohort once a month for four hours of core content. Meetings will consist of didactic learning, hands-on skills training, group work/projects, interactive team learning and a facilitator led group discussion for 1 hour of each session. As a New Graduate Nurse, a preceptorship on your home unit will also be integrated to facilitate your transition. Leaders from the hospital and unit, Staff Development Specialists and Advanced Practice Nurses will support you throughout this program and moving forward.
As a new employee of the hospital and of the Residency program, you will complete general hospital orientation, nursing orientation, and electronic medical record (EPIC) orientation. Your first cohort meeting will occur about 1 month after your start.
New Graduate Nurse Residents will work the same schedule as their assigned preceptor(s) during orientation, with efforts made to accommodate desired shifts as much as possible. After orientation, you will work with your unit manager to determine a permanent shift schedule.
Nurse Residents are expected to attend all (or make up any missed) seminars. It is also expected Nurse Residents will complete the Vizient TM surveys and present Evidence-Based Project at the completion of the program.
Qualifications for the New Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- Graduation from an accredited nursing program with Associate’s, Bachelor’s or bridge Master’s program (previous practicing LPNs not eligible for residency program)
- You must hold a current and active Virginia Registered Nurse License at least 10 days prior to the cohort start date listed above
- You must have less than 6 months of clinical nursing experience
- You must hold a current and active Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association
- If selected as a final candidate, you must provide at least 2 Letters of Recommendation from a Professor/Instructor/Preceptor
Completed Applications Requirements