Virginia Hospital Center began as the community service project of five women's clubs at a joint meeting in 1933. Following that initial gathering, the women collected $5 donations from 20 local organizations, and in 1934 the Arlington Hospital Association was created. In the years that followed, Arlington Hospital grew from a small project into a fully operational 100-bed facility that was completed in 1944.
Since that time, the Hospital has gone through many changes and is continuing to grow every day. What was once known as Arlington Hospital is now Virginia Hospital Center - but the mission has remained the same: To provide the highest quality clinical care.
A facility that at one time only held 100 beds now has 394. A place that at times could be difficult to navigate through is now a 530,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility designed with patient and visitor comfort as a primary concern. It features a nine-story hospital building, 1,100 parking spaces, and among many other new features, a fully-equipped Emergency Department.
In November 2004, the new $150 million Virginia Hospital Center officially opened its doors to patients. In March 2014, the Hospital celebrated its 70th anniversary. In 2019, the Hospital officially kicked off its $250 million expansion project, which includes the creation of a new Outpatient Pavillion to serve the growing healthcare needs of our community.
For more than 75 years, Virginia Hospital Center has been there for the people of Northern Virginia. We cannot wait to make the next 75 even more memorable than the first!