Surgical Oncology is a surgical specialty that focuses on the surgical treatment of cancer. Hatem El Halabi, MD, FACS is the Director of Surgical Oncology at Virginia Hospital Center and has advanced fellowship training in Surgical Oncology. Other surgeons with significant expertise in various cancer surgeries are James Mayes, MD, FACS, who is fellowship-trained in hepatobiliary surgery, and J. R. Salameh, MD, FACS and Amanda Parker, MD, both of whom are fellowship-trained in minimally invasive digestive surgery. All use their experience and expertise to ensure the best outcomes in cancer surgery, for conditions including the following:
Procedures & Multidisciplinary Approach
- Radioguided parathyroidectomy
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Multidisciplinary approach
- Lymph node
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) for peritoneal malignancy
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
read more >
The extensive surgical experience we offer our patients is supported by:
- Lymphedema prevention and evaluation prior to surgery.
- Plastic surgery evaluation when complex closure is needed.
- Medical and Radiation Oncology for patients with advanced disease.
- Access to the support groups and other services provided by our Cancer Resource Center, recipient of the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer—a program of the American College of Surgeons.