Occupational Therapy for Hand Injuries
Sustaining a hand injury from either trauma or wear and tear is often a painful and life altering experience. You may experience a significant disruption in your ability to work, participate in leisure activities, and care for yourself and your family independently.
Virginia Hospital Center has a team of occupational therapists specializing in treating hand and upper extremity injuries and diagnoses. Our compassionate staff will take care of you from post operative recovery to your return to normal activities of daily living and work duties. Our goal is always to increase the maximum functional use of your hands.
Your initial evaluation will be scheduled for one hour. A history will be taken, a thorough evaluation of your arm/hand will be performed, and the results will be reviewed with you. You will also be instructed in a home exercise program, and your future visits, if necessary will be scheduled at this time.
- Traumatic Injuries
- Tendon/Artery/Nerve Repairs, Transfers, and Grafts
- Burns and Skin Grafts
- Congenital Deformities
- Joint Replacements
- Cumulative Trauma Disorders
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Focal Dystonia
- Sports Injuries
- Nerve Compression Syndromes
- Brachial Plexus Injuries
Specialized Care Services
- Custom Orthosis/Splint Fabrication
- Scar Management
- Joint Protection Techniques and Education
- Work Station Evaluation and Ergonomic Training
- Body Mechanics Training - Manual Therapy
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Modalities: Ultrasound, Fluidotherapy, Moist Heat