About our Centers of Excellence
National accreditations and third-party certifications of excellence attest to Virginia Hospital Center's commitment to healthcare superiority and the sophistication of our medical and surgical services. Examples include:
- Virginia Hospital Center has been recognized as an Emergency Center of Excellence, a national designation that has only been awarded to eight hospitals in the nation.
- Being officially recognized as a fully-approved, Level 1 Accredited Bariatric Surgery Center by The American College of Surgeons’ Bariatric Surgery Center Network Accreditation Program, which reflects that Virginia Hospital Center meets the most rigorous standards in providing bariatric surgery and care
- Being designated the first nationally-accredited breast health center in the State of Virginia and Washington, D.C., a recognition bestowed on the Hospital by the American College of Surgeons' National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) after an extensive and rigorous review process
- Earning the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers, a certification that reflects Virginia Hospital Center's record of—and commitment to—providing the time-sensitive care paramount to ensuring stoke patients the best chance of recovery
- Achieving the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Total Joint Replacement (Hip and Knee), indicating the Hospital's excellence in patient pre-operative education, post-operative pain management, infection control and other measures
- Receiving the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer, an accomplishment that reflects the Hospital's successful dedication to providing highly coordinated, multidisciplinary cancer care
- Achieving the prestigious Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) Clinical Hyperbaric Facility Accreditation, a Center of Excellence endorsement received by less than 10% of hyperbaric centers in the United States
In addition to such prestigious outside recognition, Virginia Hospital Center takes pride in self-designated Centers of Excellence which include Cardiology & Cardiovascular Surgery, Emergency, Neuroscience, Oncology, Urology and Women & Infant Health. Each offers comprehensive care and is staffed by a team of skilled physicians, nurses and other healthcare practitioners who have all undergone specialty training in their medical and/or surgical area of expertise, and continue to do so on an ongoing basis.