Anchors of Service
1. As members of Virginia Hospital Center’s healthcare team we commit to treat everyone with dignity and respect. We will greet everyone we encounter with a smile and an appropriate greeting.
2. The steps of service are the foundation of Virginia Hospital Center’s mission and vision. We will always:
- Address patients and each other by name.
- Anticipate and fulfill patient needs consistent with standards of care.
- Create a warm and caring environment.
3. All employees will have a safe and healthy work environment.
4. Every employee is supported through mutual respect, timely feedback and recognition.
5. To create pride and joy in the workplace, all employees have the right to be involved in the planning of the work that affects them.
6. Customer relations is everyone’s responsibility. Upon discovering a problem, the employee will own it by resolving it or providing an interim solution.
7. Each employee will use Virginia Hospital Center telephone etiquette:
- Answer the call within 3 rings, with a smile.
- Identify yourself and your department.
- When necessary, ask if you can place the caller on hold and wait for a response.
- When transferring a call, identify the caller and topic to the new department.
8. Each employee will use proper protocol when entering a patient's room.
- Name: Each employee will introduce himself/herself to the patient and/or guests and use the patient’s name, look them in the eye and smile if appropriate.
- Explain: Each employee will say "I am cleaning my hands for your safety", then wash or gel their hands. Each employee will explain the need for the visit. Explain all procedures, anticipate reactions, clarify expectations and answer any questions. When you have completed your task, take the time to tell the patient that you have finished.
- Ask: Prior to hanging up the telephone or beginning your encounter, ask, "Do you have any other questions I can answer?" Wait for a response. Answer questions that you can or refer appropriately.
- Report: If an employee learns of any problems he/she will act immediately and in front of the patient by correcting the situation themselves, notifying an appropriate person, or using the Patient Hotline Button on the patient’s phone.
9. Each employee is responsible for protecting Virginia Hospital Center’s assets and maintaining an uncompromisingly clean environment.
10. Be proud to work at Virginia Hospital Center. Choose a positive, "no excuses" attitude in all that you do.
11. Maintain and project a professional image. Adhere to the dress code policy.
12. We will act with efficiency and timeliness in all that we do.